Civil Engineering for Dummies
Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works such as bridges, roads, canals, dams and buildings. Civil engineering is the oldest engineering discipline after military engineering, and it was defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering.
It is traditionally broken into several sub-disciplines including environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, structural engineering, transportation engineering, municipal or urban engineering, water resources engineering, materials engineering, coastal engineering, surveying, and construction engineering.
SOME OF SUB DISCIPLINE OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
- Construction engineering
- Coastal engineering
- Earthquake engineering
- Environmental engineering
- Geo-technical engineering
- Water resources engineering
- Materials engineering
- Structural engineering
- Transportation engineering
- Municipal or urban engineering.
CIVIL ENGINEERS CAREER 101 FOR DUMMIES
- What they do civil engineers perform engineering duties in planning, designing and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities.
- What else they do they also inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Salary average salary: $87,940 per year hourly wage: $42.28 per hour source: bls.gov
- "Passion is the difference between having a job or having a career."
- Perfect if you are a practical and technical person who enjoys hands-on work
- Suitable for people who wants independence and likes to work on their own and make decisions
- There are more suitable careers out there if you are a sociable person who enjoys helping and working with others
- A considerable amount of work- related skill, knowledge and experience is required for this career. You can't just jump right in.
- I love my job! 71% of them said they were satisfied with their job and 68% said they feel like their job is making other people’s lives better.
- Should i be one people who are suitable for this job tends to be more practical and love hands-on work. They like working with plants, animals and real-world materials like wood and tools.
- How to be one 43% of civil engineers said they had a bachelor's degree 26% of them hold a master's degree.